Improve Device Search with More Attributes
Currently device search only supports device name, serial number, IMEI, MAC, and phone number.
Scenarios where search doesn't return the results I need:
- When I need to search by a custom attribute. For example, say I want to return all devices where the username attribute is "nathaniel.strauss". I am unable to since those attributes are not exposed in search. This is a common ask - "How many devices does x have?" The same holds true for any custom attribute set from SAML assertion - team, department, etc.
- When the device name (SimpleMDM defined) doesn't match the Device Name (MDM reported). For example, the listed name is "MacBook Air" but the actual on device name is "Arts-Building-$SerialNumber" SimpleMDM is unable to return the device by searching "Arts".
- Enrollment status. Though "Status" is a column in list view it is not searchable.
- Last seen. Slightly more complex. SimpleMDM is unable to return devices not seen (or seen) within a specific time period.
Given the values are already present in the database, I'm asking search either be configurable to allow any device attribute. If it's easier or more reasonable to ask for a smaller solution I would want these attributes prioritized to be searchable. Thank you!
- All custom attributes
- Device name
- Processor arch (Apple silicon v Intel)
- OS version
- Enrollment status
- FDE status
- SIP status
- Secure boot level
- Secure boot external level
Björn Albers commented
Great Idea! Device notes should be searchable as well.
Manuel Razzari commented
Also need to be able to search by "device group". Either overload search "/devices?search=group:37" or add a new param "/devices?group=37".
Jon Crain commented
It would be ideal if the same items were also available in the API query for all devices as well.
Chris Rosa commented
Would be helpful if it searched User names as well.